Saturday 20 February 2016

Spicy Korean Noodle Challenge

The Korean "Chilli Noodle Challenge"

So... a friend of mine told me about this korean "fire noodle challenge". Apparently people have been eating this extremely spicy noodle and posting their fiery experience on Youtube. Some say it is the spiciest noodle in Korea but the Ramenrater blog rates it the the 3rd spiciest instant noodle of 2015. You can check out the Top Ten Spiciest Instant Noodle 2015 list here.

Okay, I went to look for these noodles on the same day.
The packaging is black with big read korean words which I can't read.
The english name is Samyang Hot Chicken Flavor Ramen.


530 kcal per package


I decided to follow the cooking instructions this time. Stirfry the noodles with the sauce for 30 seconds after boiling the noodles for 5 mins. While stirfrying the noodles, I could feel the heat from the chilli in the air. 


Usually I like egg in my instant noodles, but I had run out.
So I added some cabbage for variety.


Chuck on the sesame and seaweed flakes. Sorry the presentation is not flash.


And... begin. I poured myself a drink too. I ran out of milk but I had almond flavoured soy milk in the fridge which did fine. 3 mouthfuls in, I start to feel the heat. The burning around the mouth started. The flavour was pretty nice. The chilli burn is similar to other korean spicy dishes. It's a "korean chilli" type of burn. Reminds me of the Shin Ramen which I used to eat a lot of. The noodle is fattish and stringy, no different from my fav instant Chajanmyung. Of course, you shouldn't over-cook them or they will be mushy. I have to say I enjoyed the noodles. 90% through the noodles I started to sweat a bit.  The noodles were very hot for sure, but I did not feel at any point it was beyond bearable. I wasn't going for a speed challenge cause I wanted to enjoy it ( 6 mins), I might do a speed one if there was a prize.


Done

To be fair this is the hottest instant noodles I have had. But not the hottest food I've had.
I would rate it 7.5/10 for taste
and 8.5/10 for heat

Try and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment